Top Tips From A-to-Z: Self-Storage
Self-storage is a great option for freeing up space in your home, but there are some ways to make the most out of your self-storage unit and thus, get the biggest bang for your hard-earned buck. As specialists in self-storage, we’ve learned the most efficient storage tips for our valued customers in Canton, Ohio. The tips that follow were compiled to help you make the most efficient use of your storage unit.
• Rent the smallest unit that you can get by with. Rental fees are determined based on size, and if you rent a bigger unit than you need, you’re essentially paying for empty space. If you need help figuring out which size to rent, we’re happy to lend a hand, or you can check out our handy size estimator.
• Uniform boxes make for easier stacking. Try to buy or find boxes that are the same shape and size and you’ll be able to get the most items efficiently stored.
• Make an inventory of the items you have in storage. This will allow you to quickly determine if something you’re looking for is actually in your unit, and if so, where it is located.
• Label the side of every box with its contents, and be sure to label both sides—that way if the box gets turned around, you’ll still know what’s in it.
• Break down tables with removable legs so they can be stored in a minimum space.
• Store things like hoses, rakes, hoes, and tools in large empty trash cans. Choose stacking cans if possible.
• Avoid storing things that are prohibited. • Wrap items that are fragile, like mirrors and pictures, and then mark them as “fragile” to help ensure that they’re handled with care.
• Store sofas and love seats on their ends to make more vertical space.
• To avoid damage, do not place heavy or sharp objects on upholstered furniture. Cover your furniture with blankets and/or cardboard to cut down on dust.
• Keep mattresses from bending out of shape by propping them to stand-straight instead of giving them any room to slump over.
• Use the drawers of furniture to store things like small items and knickknacks.