Best Tips For Preparing Furniture For Self Storage
Furniture is one of those necessities that fills up every home and office, but takes up tons of space. Some furniture has sentimental value that has been passed down several generations, so it’s important to you to hold on to it. Other times furniture pieces are antique and have high monetary value. If your home is becoming overcrowded with furniture that you’re not willing to part with, consider self storage in Canton, Ohio, for your furniture storage solutions.
Furniture Self Storage Prepping & Packing Tips
- Use wooden pallets to elevate furniture, especially sofas, off of the floor. This helps with ventilation.
- Clean your furniture before placing in self storage. Wood furniture can dry out, so it’s important to apply wax before storing it away. This is especially true if you plan on storing your furniture in self storage long term.
- For fabric furniture such as sofas and mattresses, use an antibacterial spray that is safe for furniture. Cleaning fabric before storage protects against the growth of mold and mildew. Do not put wet furniture inside your storage facility; wait until it’s completely dry before putting in self storage in Canton, Ohio.
- Polish and wax any leather furniture before packing into self storage.
- Furniture made of metals such as brass also need polished. This helps prevent rusting while in self storage.
- Disassemble furniture such as tables, headboards and dressers. Keep any screws inside labeled envelopes or small bags for quick reassembly down the road.
- If a piece won’t disassemble, be sure to store it in a natural position while in storage. For example, don’t store a couch on its side. Uneven weight distribution can break furniture down.
- Mattresses are an exception to this rule. Storing mattresses upright keeps them off the dirty floor
- Avoid wrapping wood and fabric furniture in plastic or shrink wrap. This also includes mattresses. Instead, use sheets or cotton so the furniture has proper ventilation.
- Large pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard and stood upright. Don’t lay them flat.
- If you are storing electronics along with your standard furniture, please read our article on best self storage tips for electronics. This article gives detailed information on how to properly store TVs and other electronics.
Once you’ve taken the proper pre-storage steps, your furniture will remain in top condition while in self storage. If you have any concerns about storing your furniture in self storage in Canton, Ohio, don’t hesitate to contact our office at (330) 484-1370 for professional guidance.