Fur Garment and Clothing Tips For Self Storage
Clothing and fur garments are amongst the most popular personal possessions to store in self storage. This is especially true for big bulky coats and seasonal clothing when you don’t have the extra closet space for your storage needs. Storing your fur garments and extra clothing in self storage in Canton, Ohio, maximizes your current closet space, especially for those who have more clothes and shoes than they know what to do with. Following are the best tips for keeping your clothing and fur in top condition while in storage.
Fur Self Storage in Canton Ohio Tips
- Have your furs professionally cleaned before storing furs in self storage.
- Never try combing or blow drying your fur.
- Your fur garments may become damaged if they come in contact in other items, so be sure to place them in a safe and isolated spot.
- Do not store your fur belongings with cedar blocks or moth balls. The scents of these items can be absorbed into the fur.
- Wrapping fur garments in plastic may cause damage.
Storing Clothing in Self Storage
- Wash and dry your clothes as you normally would. Cleaning your clothes before storage keeps stains from setting that will be difficult to remove later. Dirty clothing also contains bacteria, which can grow and spread while your clothes are packed away.
- Although it makes sense from a space-saving standpoint, avoid storing clothing in airtight vacuum-sealed bags. Fabric needs access to proper ventilation, and vacuum-sealed bags completely remove all air. Lack of air circulation can promote mold growth, especially if there is moisture in the air.
- Consider storing your clothing in a clean and unused suitcase. Another option is storing your clothing in large, transparent Tupperware bins. If you’re only storing your clothing for a short time in self storage, cardboard boxes will work as a temporary place to hold your clothes
- Hanging your clothes and garments for long periods of time may cause them to stretch out and become misshapen. If you do choose to hang your clothing in storage, use all of the hooks included on your hangers to help your clothes retain their shape. Avoid hanging your clothes while contained in a plastic bag, as this does not allow clothing to breathe.
- Fold your clothes with the lightest items on top and the heaviest items on the bottom.
- Cedar Blocks are a better alternative to moth balls. Cedar blocks are beneficial because they don’t contain chemicals and they are effective at keeping insects away from your clothing while in storage.
If you have additional questions on the best ways to store fur and clothing at your local self storage in Canton, Ohio, contact us at (330) 484-1370.